Jobs, Internships, Volunteers
Controller/Operations Manager; Full-time
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DESCRIPTION: Serving as a member of the Management Team the Controller/ Operations Manager's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's financial, human resources and building management functions. Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices. This position will also interact with the Treasurer and other Board Members.
Financial management, planning, systems and controls
- Support the ED in engaging the board's audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines. Supervise Bookkeeper.
- Develop and produce operating budget in coordination with the Executive Director and program directors and monitor adherence to it throughout the fiscal year
- Undertake monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals. Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting.
- Manage payroll, including tabulation of accrued employee benefits and proper employee insurance, tax and retirement account deductions.
- Oversee day to day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks, producing reports as requested.
- Monitor and control cash flow.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of activity, generating appropriate reports, and fulfilling tax related requirements.
- Ensure that Accounting Department requests to internal and external parties are communicated and fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Develop long-range forecasts and maintain long-range financial plans.
- Develop, maintain and monitor all fundraising and accounting systems and procedures capturing all pledges, billings and receipts and for the recording of all revenue transactions, recommend and implement improvements to systems.
- Coordinate annual audit and tax filings, liaising with outside vendors as necessary.
- Obtaining and managing all insurance policies.
Management of the ESU building
- Supervise building maintenance employee(s).
- Monitor and order building maintenance supplies.
- Ensure all equipment and machinery is in good working order.
- Oversee large capital improvement projects.
- Manage efficient building usage and security.
- Organize fiscal, archival and administrative files.
- Coordinate and liaise with outside vendors.
- Ensure complete NY State and NY City Building Law compliance.
- Manage recruiting and staffing logistics.
- Maintain and update as appropriate the Employee Handbook
- Ensure timesheets are completed accurately. Record employee time info.
- Administer performance tracking systems.
- Facilitate employee orientation, development, training and recordkeeping.
- Manage employee relations.
- Facilitate employee communications.
- Facilitate staff terminations when necessary.
- Compensation and benefits administration and recordkeeping;
- Maintain employee files and the HR filing system.
- Ensure complete NY State and Federal Labor Law compliance.
- Exemplary Discipline
- At least 5 years' experience in Financial Management
- Strong background and work experience in Finance and Bookkeeping
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in excel, word, outlook, and access
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Knowledge of contract management and +Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view
- Persuasive with details and facts
- Delegate responsibilities effectively
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.