Shakespeare Teacher Programs
teaching shakespeare workshops
Teaching Shakespeare Workshops, a partnership between the ESU and the world-renowned Folger Shakespeare Library, give teachers nationwide the tools that they need to bring Shakespeare to life in their classrooms. These workshops are lead by experts from the Folger National Teacher Corps and focus on the Folger Four (scholarship, performance, curriculum and assessment).
In our Teaching Shakespeare Workshops, teachers receive:
- A full-day professional learning experience with a Folger-trained classroom teacher.
- Methodology that includes beginning, sustaining, and assessing a unit for teaching any Shakespeare play.
- A set of materials containing cutting-edge pedagogy for teaching Shakespeare. This curriculum material includes: classroom activities; lesson plans; access to videos and audio clips from the Folger's collection; and essays and lectures by Shakespeare scholars.
- Information on creating an in-class Shakespeare Performance Festival.
- Information and specific lessons for preparing their students for the English-Speaking Union National Shakespeare Competition.
2015-2016 teaching shakespeare workshops
- October 10, 2015 -- Honolulu, HI
- November 13, 2015 -- Syracuse, NY
- January 18, 2016 -- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- March 1, 2016 -- Red Bank, NJ
- April 30, 2016 -- Providence, RI
- June 15, 2016 -- Kansas City, MO
- June 29 & 30, 2016 -- New York, NY
- July 28, 2016 -- Cleveland, OH
- August 1, 2016 -- Greensboro, NC
- August 6, 2016 -- Boulder, CO
- November 4, 2016 -- Syracuse, NY
- November 11, 2016 -- Elizabethtown, PA
- November 12, 2016 -- Nashville, TN
Additional workshops to be announced. Please check back here throughout the year for updates.
Additional SUMMER 2016 Shakespeare Opportunities