The English-Speaking Union National Shakespeare Competition
The ESU new york city branch proudly announces their winner:
nicole beverly chien
a student of JOhn Anderson
at the rudolph steiner school
2023 ESU National shakespeare competition: New York City branch
The 40th Annual ESU National Shakespeare Competition: New York City Branch is almost here!
Deadline for Registration is February 3, 2023
Deadline for School Winner Form is February 10, 2023
THE COMPETITION WILL BE HELD DIGITALLY VIA RECORDED PERFORMANCE. PLEASE BE SURE TO SUBMIT A VIDEO OF THE STUDENT'S PERFORMANCE THAT INCLUDES THE MONOLOGUE AND SONNET. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION OR EMAIL BETTY ROTH AT BROTH@ESUUS.ORG
If possible, a live final round will be held at the Morgan Museum and Library on Thursday March 2, 2023 from 3:00-6:00pm
RULES FOR RECORDING YOUR PERFORMANCE VIDEO
We at the ESU recognize that our students and teachers are currently facing unprecedented challenges. It is
never our intention to create an undue burden, or a situation that disadvantages one child over another. For
that reason, the requirements for recording and submitting performances are designed to use basic, readily
available technology accessible to almost anyone.
* STUDENTS MAY NOT RECORD ON A SCHOOL OR PROFESSIONAL STAGE*
• You MAY NOT USE professional recording, lighting, editing, or sound equipment. Cell phone
video is acceptable.
• You must be clearly audible and clearly visible. Our preference is to see performers from head to toe,
however, from the waist up is also acceptable. .
• No costumes, no sets and no props of any kind.
- You are not allowed to use items of clothing (i.e. shoes, hair accessories, hats, gloves, etc.) as
props. You may not use your hair as a prop ex. A character combing her hair should be
mimed and the actor's actual hair left untouched.
- In order to be fair to all students, and because at the time of publishing this handbook we do
not know where schools or theaters will be open, we must continue to insist that videos NOT
be recorded on any type of stage.
• No camerawork (close ups, pans, fades), no effects (light or sound) and no mics.
• No titles or credits of any kind.
• You should introduce yourself by name (first and last) and the selections to be performed, in order.
• You may perform your selections in whatever order you prefer. All monologues and sonnets must be
selected from the 2023 packets provided by the ESU. No exceptions.
• The video should be of one continuous performance with no edits or cuts.
• In a live competition the student would perform once at the branch level and once at the national semi
finals. For this reason, students who win their branch competition are not required to submit the same
video to the national competition.
• Please upload your video to YouTube and enter the complete video address on the school winner
form. PLEASE MAKE YOUR VIDEO UNLISTED.
• Any deviation from the above may result in your disqualification.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION: Copy of Rev-Teacher-Handbook-2021-101520_en-us (esuus.org)
PLEASE CONTINUE TO CHECK THIS PAGE FOR UPDATES AND MORE INFORMATION!