National Shakespeare Competition
The English-Speaking Union National Shakespeare Competition assists high school teachers across the country with their Shakespeare and language arts curricula. Through the competition, students are encouraged to develop their communication skills and an appreciation of the power of language and literature.
2018 March 3 Tucson Branch Shakespeare Competition
- Students must select their monologue from the 2018 Monologue Selection Packet, provided by the ESU. No additional cuts may be made to the monologues. They must be performed as written in the packet..
- Tucson Branch School Participation Form due by December 15, 2017. Please complete the form and send the $25.00 fee to Jerry and Kay Helm: firstname.lastname@example.org. 8112 N. Midnight Way, Tucson AZ 85741; phone (520)975-2437; mobile:520-975-2437;Kay:520-403-9952. You are not guaranteed participation in the program unless you sign up your school providing your competition date which must be before February 16.
- In-school Competitions: Select 1 student to represent you school if you have at at least 7 competitors. Select 2 students if you have 15 or more competitors. Please contact us if you are a new or very small school, as we will allow 1 student participant to represent your school if you have at least 3 competitors in your competition.
- Return School Winner Entry forms 1 and 2, Photo Release Forms, and Monologue--in format required, within one week of your competition. Send to: Jerry Helm: email@example.com. 8112 N. Midnight Way, Tucson AZ 85741; phone (520)975-2437; 520-975-2437. February 21, 2018 is the deadline for all forms (Rodeo Vacation is Feb 22-23). If you are waiting on Photo Release forms with parent signatures please send all other information as on February 22 we will create the order of performance using a Random Number Generator.
- March 3 Tucson Branch Competition at the Marooney Theatre; The University of Arizona School of Theatre, Film & Television, Tucson AZ 85719. The winner of your school competition must select one of Shakespeare's sonnets in addition to his/her monologue. View Sonnet Rules Eligibility and Suggested Sonnet Packet online.
Download all important forms:
School Participation Form
Official Tucson Branch Judge Sheet
National Monologue Rubric
2018 Monologue Selection Packet
School Winner Entry Form #1
School Winner Entry Form #2