Andrew Romay New Immigrant Center
The Andrew Romay New Immigrant Center (ARNIC), is a FREE program that helps recent immigrants participate fully in American society.
ARNIC members enjoy exclusive access to the Center's events and classes throughout the year, including:
- ENGLISH IN ACTION: one-to-one English conversation practice sessions
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE "TUNE-UP" CLASSES: short structured English classes at higher intermediate to advanced levels on various aspects of business English such as grammar, writing, reading and speaking
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE BOOT CAMP: three-week intensive English classes two times a year
- WORKSHOPS: training and information on practical issues like college applications, job search, medical insurance and other
- CULTURAL INTEREST PROGRAMS: cultural programs, networking events, excursions and field trips to museums, theater and sporting events.
Who can apply
Criteria for a FREE one-year membership:
- NEW IMMIGRANT: US. Lawful Permanent Resident (a "green card" holder) or asylee/refugee for 2 years or less*
- INTERMEDIATE ENGLISH: ability to speak and understand intermediate English
- TIME COMMITMENT: able to dedicate at least 5 hours a week to Center's programs, events and activities
- LOW-INCOME: no income or income less than $17,000/year per person (i.e. a married couple could qualify with an income of $34,000/year)
* Asylum-seekers may also qualify.
How to Apply
We are currently registering new members. If you would like to join ARNIC, you must attend an orientation session.
We will have orientation/registration sessions on:
- Friday, January 26, at 2:00 pm
- Friday, February 2, at 2:00 pm
- Friday, February 16, at 3:00 pm
- Friday, March 2, at 3:00 pm
- Friday, March 16, at 3:00 pm
- Friday, March 30, at 2:00 pm
- Friday, April 6, at 2:00 pm
- Friday, April 13, at 2:00 pm
- Friday, May 4, at 2:00 pm
- Friday, May 11, at 2:00 pm
You do not need to register in advance for a session. Sessions last two hours. Please arrive on time. Latecomers cannot be accommodated!
If you cannot attend one of these sessions, please email Karl Hart, firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an individual appointment.
The English-Speaking Union is conveniently located near Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan at 144 East 39th Street (between Lexington and 3rd Avenues).
Program activities take place Monday through Saturday.